Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day

The Memorial Day Weekend is upon us. Let me wish you a happy holiday, whatever you do.

This first summer holiday weekend of the year, as I think of it, has some memories for me. The first thing I think of is our family's first tent camping trip, when we went to Natchez Trace State Park from Memphis in the 1970s. I wonder if our two daughters remember that as vividly as I do. We got there after dark and set up our big tent on a sloping hillside, because, as fledgling campers, we evidently didn't realize that a campsite is more comfortable when it's level. The park was covered up with campers. The next day, in the daylight, we moved our tent to a more level site. Wendell recalls seeing a man from Texas in the restroom that thought he was about to freeze to death. It did get down in the 40s that night, and we surely were not prepared for those kind of temps ourselves. I had on just about every article of clothing I had with me trying to keep warm. We did not have real sleeping bags except for one junior bag. The rest were slumber bags. (Yes, Chris, I expect we had the one with us that you still use.) Another memory of that weekend is that we cooked hamburgers on the grill. There were so many of them, I tried to eat two of them. That's went I learned I did not have the ability to eat two large burgers in one setting.

Another special Memorial Day weekend was when my sis and bro-in-law came from Arlington to visit us in our condo in Jackson. There are photos from that trip, but where they are is a question I don't know the answer to.

Speaking of photos, I am wondering if we have photos from our many vacations camping. Some of them are still riveted in my memory, whether or not there are photos or not. The activities from various camping trips flood my memories. If I can find photos from them, I may share some on wendellmaedeanTHEperpetualvacationers.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all of you!

2 comments:

  1. I suspect there's a difference in a real sleeping bag and a slumber bag. Wanna explain it?

    And can you tell that I'm no longer the type to camp out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between a real sleeping bag and a slumber bag has to do with its use -- at least in my mind. Children usually have slumber bags that they take to overnights at a friend's house, and they generally are less expensive than a real sleeping bag, which is meant to be used outdoors while camping in a tent and are constructed in ways to make them warmer and for various climates. The junior size sleeping bag is really meant for a child instead of an adult.

    ReplyDelete