Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Turtle or Tortoise?

As we arrived home today, we could see something in the road at a distance. At first I thought it was a small dog or cat. As we came closer, I recognized it was a fairly large turtle or tortoise. It moved on out of the road at a slow pace and I caught up with it in a neighbor's carport. I did not want to frighten it but was able to get this photo.

Later I talked with a neighbor about it. He said he had been trying to encourage it to go back to where it came from, a freshly plowed field to the north of us. As I looked more carefully at the photo, it is obvious the reptile had been covered with dirt, and I think I can even see a mark on its shell where a farm implement may have scraped it.

I thought it was wandering about looking for a new home after such treatment, but Smitty reminded me it carried its home around with it. :)

I do wish the turtle well. Do you suppose all that dirt is not healthy? Do you think it needed a bath?

1 comment:

  1. Umm well if it was at a construction site it probably needed a bath, and its definitely a tortoise, a turse wouldnt have those big claws, but i cant tell you what kind it is...too dirty

    ReplyDelete