Wednesday, September 09, 2009

09-09-09

A Woman's Book of PrayersI would guess I'm not the only person that reads this little book just about every day. I recommend it to anyone, even though the title indicates it is for women. Its author, Rita F. Snowden, wrote 68 books in her lifetime that were published. I believe it was someone from England who recommended this little book, and I had to go through quite a process to get the one I have been reading for years, which is the seventeenth impression April 1983. Now that I realize she wrote so many books, I want to read all of them.
Today's devotional reading is based on my absolutely favorite scripture of Jesus' words to his disciples at the Last Supper.



NINTH DAY
In the Morning

My first thoughts, O God, are of wonder that you have fashioned me for life here – and for fulfilment beyond this earthly life that is mine.

Quicken the hearts of all dear to me, some of whom have forgotten their divine destiny.

Let me live today in the reality of Christ's life here, his death and trimphant resurrection that transforms everything I know:
Let me hold fast to his challenging words;
Let me hold fast to his comforting words;
Let me hold fast to his promised presence, now and till the end of the world.
Bless especially, this day, all who will come to the close of life here; and
All who are closest to them;
All who minister to them, pastors, priests, doctors, nurses, friends;
All at a distance, who receive their news with deep concern.
I rejoice that in your holy purpose life is all of a piece – here and there.

AMEN



In the Evening

O God, I bless You for all those who have helped me on my way today:
Members of my family and
My loyal friends and
People I scarcely know
Forgive me, if today, I have been only interested in my own affairs, and unmindful of others.
Forgive me, if I have taken things too seriously and forgotten fun and laughter.
Forgive me if I have allowed myself to be over-busy, with no time to 'stand and stare'.

I pray now, for any who have lacked joy this day;
Any who have been without friendship;
Any who have missed the common decencies;
Any who have been without work;
Any blind, deaf, or crippled;
Any without strength of body;
Any wanting the mind's clear light;
Any without a sense of your presence;
Any who look into the future without expectancy.
We are your children amidst the immensities of time, and eternity. Hold us in your keeping.

AMEN



Daily Reading

John 14:1-6 (English Standard Version)

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepared a place for you? And if I go and prepared a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going."

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?"

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

No comments:

Post a Comment