Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Day Late and More Than A Dollar Short

Happy Valentines DayOne of my favorite love songs, My Funny Valentine, has quite a history. It was introduced in 1937's Broadway musical Babes in Arms, when I was around four months old, and has remained popular ever since. I vaguely recall hearing it in a 1950's movie when I was a teenager. Its lyrics and melody charmed me.

My funny Valentine
Sweet comic Valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable, unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak, are you smart?

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little Valentine, stay

Each day is Valentine's Day

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I clicked on next blog at the top of my blog, and it brought me here. I identified with you because I was a teen in the 1950s too. I remember the song Funny Valentine. I just posted a funny valentine of my hubby and me (a JibJab movie) on my blog. You might get a kick out of it. I'd be happy to have you drop in there for a visit.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for your visit and comment this morning. I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you'll come again.

    I too love MY FUNNY VALENTINE...love the words and the tune.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way more than a dollar short! cuted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fine indeed. You might like the Elvis Costello version. I didn't at first, but it's grown on me and I like it quite a lot now. Thanks for posting this. Peace and all good things for you in creativity and in life.

    Sincerely,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you shared a link to Linda Ronstadt's version last year, I thought it was lovely – but following along with the lyrics while listening to this enchanting tune on the piano gave me goosebumps! So glad you embedded it here.

    ReplyDelete