Monday, August 22, 2011

Unanswered Prayer

This is Mae Dean, the copy-cat blogger. If you read many of my posts, you know that already.

After listening to a sermon for Sunday, August 21, by The Reverend Keith Tonkel of Wells Church concerning this blog's title, I had my usual reaction to his sermons. I wanted to share it.

There is a way you can hear this sermon and most of his sermons, and I'd like to encourage you to take that opportunity and check the site once a week to listen to the latest one. Let me also tell you that his sermons are short and to the point. Also, I guess I should warn you that I think his sermons are addictive as well.

Before I give you that link, here's the scriptures for last Sunday's sermon as well as what was printed on the back of the church bulletin:

Isaiah 55:6
Seek the Lord while he may be found, call on him
while he is near.

Matthew 6:5-7, 9
And when you pray don’t be like the hypocrites
for they love to pray standing in the Synagogues or
on street corners to be seen by men. When you
pray, go into your room and close the door, and pray
to your Father who is unseen…and don’t keep on
babbling like pagans who think they will be heard for
their many words….
This then is how you should pray…

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in
prayer.

James 5:16b
The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

When My Prayers Are Unanswered: Why?
Prayer changes things. Right prayers in the right
spirit, are both powerful and effective.
When we pray, it’s no longer only human conversation.
Rather it’s the human spirit joined together
with the Holy Spirit.

Prayer should be uttered when one senses God
close, but it is perhaps even more important when
God seems unhearing, remote, and far away.
Our prayers are all answered. Perhaps not in
the way we wanted, but answered indeed.

Prayer is sharing truth with God who already
knows it. However when we come to God in
prayer it becomes our sharing and taking responsibility
for our lives and times.

Prayer is a private thing in one sense -- don’t
pray to be seen or heard by others, but its also okay
in public places, as long as we keep it brief, to the
point, and centered on God’s will, as we understand
it.

Faithful prayer brings joy, hope, patience, and
ways to deal with affliction.

Like the early Disciples, we say,”Lord teach us
to pray.”
In so many words, He would turn to us and say,
“Try. Do your best to be in touch with the Father.
God will take care of all the rest.”


Answered prayer comes in more ways than one.
The practice of prayer puts us in touch with those
ways.

Our ‘why?” is moved toward clarity when we
pray. We may not see it all, but we come to feel
that we will eventually see and know if we keep
the conversation going.

GodStuff, Keith Tonkel
*From ideas in Adam Hamilton’s book, "Why?"
being discussed Sunday mornings in the Serendipity Class.

Here's the link if you want to take this opportunity to hear the sermon
When My Prayers Are Unanswered - Why?

If you listened to Keith's sermon, you heard him end the sermon with this:

"I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked God for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything that I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed."
~ Admiral Chester Nimitz

This is how I believe prayer works.


The video below refers to some of the same scripture listed above.

Matthew 6:9-13 (King James Version)

After this manner therefore pray ye:
“Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”

1 comment:

  1. prayers is important in every pople life every morning do always prayers to god...

    tv vanavond

    ReplyDelete