Sunday, December 18, 2011


Christmas falls on Sunday this year, a week from today. So, it's very likely this will be my last post on this blog until 2012. I don't think I have ever posted on this song, but it's been on my mind quite a bit lately.

For me, the first time I heard this song, Tracy Tonkel Furniss did a very powerful version of it at Wells United Methodist Church in Jackson, Mississippi. I've wished I had a recorded version of her doing "Mary, Did You Know?" ever since, but, apparently, such a recording does not exist.

Just now, I skimmed the book my sister gave me that also included this song on an audio CD. Indeed, I do not remember reading much of what is in this treasured book, but I bring it out every Christmas season and listen to the CD several times.

On the back of the book, it reads:
"May our hearts, like Mary's, respond with joy in doing God's will. And may we, at Christmas and throughout the year, know that Mary's child was born to save us all."

Thank, God, a version is on YouTube that tells us more about the song.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that song! I also love Sweet Little Jesus Boy. Both bring tears to my eyes and give me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No hustle and bustle in lower Alabama? Have you been to the Eastern Shore Center, or Walmart lately? Just kidding, I'm sure it's worse in other places, but that's enough bustle for me!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're doing some hustling and bustling after Christmas so the holiday will not go by without some of it. This is the day that the Lord has made, and we will be rejoicing because of Christ's birth on this Holy Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that song. It makes you appreciate the strong faith that Mary had and how beautifully obedient she was. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the video on this blog post no longer works as of 11/17/2014, but this one did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbtkzMuP2A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the video I really wanted you to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmfkFoX-PE

    ReplyDelete
  7. At this late date, I have found a version of the song that is Mark Lowry's favorite: https://youtu.be/E_tgqrpTCJs

    ReplyDelete